Friday, June 26, 2009

Fabric Length

I have been working further on the 2 metre silk/rayon length that I showed last week. This is an interesting fabric because the silk side and the rayon side will take the dye differently and be quite a contrast to each other.

This shows both sides of the fabric and the contrast. I have toned the colours down by over-dyeing with green, using the principle that red tones will turn brown with the addition of a green. I have chosen to work with the rayon side.

It still lacked a focus so I screened on some circles part of which were masked off with strips of paper. Originally the circles appeared very dark after printing so I made a decision to wash the fabric before it had completed batching. In hindsight I should have left it abit longer to achieve a slightly stronger print but it can be difficult making such a decision.

Then I decided to screen a block of text in random areas.

Herewith a detail.

And much to my surprise I didn't come across any fabric shops during my travels in Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria although I did sight a FABRIC sign further down one street in which I was walking in Vancouver. Closer inspection showed a very closed up shop front, with a notice describing a suitable dress code for those entering. Whoops! I think it was a nightclub! However, I liked the juxtaposition of FABRIC and dress code.....

2 comments:

  1. Just what I would have done, Diana. Text. This fabric is getting yummier and yummier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I like it too....even though I really liked it before you added the green........I think I know where you are going with this, and it is wonderful. The text is an especially nice addition!

    xo

    ReplyDelete