Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Love Letter

While in Vancouver I visited the Vancouver Art Gallery which is displaying an exhibition called Vermeer, Rembrandt and the Golden Age of Dutch Art Masterpieces from the Rijksmuseum (open until September 13). Certainly some impressive paintings but my favourite was definitely The Love Letter by Johannes Vermeer (fast forward and he was played by Colin Firth in the film Girl with the Pearl Earring). The Love Letter is not big but packed so much detail and emotion into its frame that I had to return to examine it again. The body language of the two women and their exchange of glances are captivating.

Johannes Vermeer, The Love Letter, C1660, oil on canvas, 44cm x 38.5 / 17+" x 15+"

During the last week I have been working on a new fabric length (2m / 2yd 19"). Fabric is a silk/rayon mix which produces varying colours on each side. It has been printed with soya wax, then a soft orange and a chartreuse Procion MX applied. After more wax it was painted with a burgundy dye mix. These combinations have produced a mix of orange, chartreuse, cerise with the waxed area remaining undyed. Although I like the results so far I feel it is probably a bit bold for any possible garment, unless someone is very confident in their dress sense. Because of this I am planning some further applications.

The length of silk/rayon so far.

1 comment:

  1. Diana....you should know me well enough to know that I would indeed wear that fabric......I will need to try your 'blend' of dyes at home and see if I can achieve similar results! Stunning!!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete