Monday, June 22, 2009

Maiwa Handprints Ltd

One of the joys of travel is the unexpected. While in Vancouver I visited Granville Island which has a reputation of being an artisan's and market area. I spent some time drifting around and suddenly I spotted Maiwa Handprints Ltd. I was aware of this place but had not registered where in the world it was situated. I really had to take a deep breath when entering the shop, as it was like diving into a swimming pool of ethic textiles and paraphernalia! It was ablaze with colours and patterns from all around the world. I could have purchased so many things, but settled on a small wooden printing block as my only memento. My suitcase was already threatening to be over weight (which it was but it was ignored). This week I did some pieces with this block.
The Maiwa Textile Symposium is being held September, October and November, and if I were living there I would certainly be attending.....

The wooden printing block I purchased, 9cm x 9cm; 3.5" x 3.5".

Working on some repeats. Printed with a black pigment.

Working with discharge paste.

A detail from a new piece showing use of the block.

1 comment:

  1. I've not been there, but I can just imagine how overwhelming Maiwa must have been! You made a great choice with your wood block, and I love how you have used it! Stunning results Diana!

    xo

    ReplyDelete