Monday, November 23, 2009

100th post

Well it had to happen of course but this is my 100th blog posting. I started in July 2008. I do enjoy writing these and am delighted that people continue to read them. There has been 2416 visits during this time, and 4124 pages read. You come from all countries small and large and I would like to thank you for your support and comments. I will definitely be continuing for yet another 100 posts, at least.....

I have just had a lovely weekend in New Plymouth visiting friends and family. Such a journey, a 5 - 6 hour drive, is always a good excuse to visit galleries en route. In Whanganui I visited my friend Eva's exhibition and was excited to see her work in 'another' space ie not in her home environment where I usually admire her work. Then to the Sarjeant Gallery for a very good glass exhibition, and the Whanganui Arts Review which displayed a wide variety of works, collectively endorsing a very active arts community. Another exhibition, Second Life using re-cycled materials, I had already seen in Pataka, Porirua, and it is interesting to see the same works displayed in a different gallery.

Percy Thompson, Stratford, was gearing up for the opening of their local art society's exhibition. However, the real gem was the Govett Brewster in New Plymouth which had three very different but exciting exhibitions, all by international women artists. Yes, they were challenging, but very diverse and each exhibition fitted their given spaces very well. Images are from the Govett Brewster website. These exhibitions close November 29.

Judith Wright: Conversations. Large paintings on handmade Japanese papers, and a video.

Guo Fengyi: China in Four Seasons. Very large pen drawings.

Nalini Malani: Transactions in the Construction of Pain 2005. Reverse paintings on the back of acrylic and mylar, digital printing on archival bamboo paper, and a video.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on 100th posting! I always look forward to reading your blog.

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete