My current experiment is to be achieve solely with textile heat set pigments or paints. I enjoy the unexpected and am aiming for things to appear 'dyed'.
This week I have added some colours which will eventually become a garment shape. After applying the blended colours I decided they were too dense. To correct this I scrubbed and washed the fabric before the pigments had dried. Depending on the weather there is a manageable time lapse to achieve this. The result, when dry, was a much more subtle feel.
The advantage here of course is that I can wash my substrate ie cotton canvas. Such washing would not be achievable if I was working on paper!
The initial application - too dense!
After a scrub and a wash - much better!