Monday, June 15, 2009

Back home again

Here I am home again. Much cooler here of course than in the USA and Canada, however the sun is shining but there is that winter chill in the air.
My three weeks away have been most successful and enjoyable. The Surface Design Association Conference in Kansas City, MO, was a great event yet again, and I am full of new knowledge, ideas and inspirations. Meeting up with attendees again was very pleasurable. I am still sorting my belongings as well as catching up with emails etc and in future blogs I will tell of some of my experiences during this time.
After conference my visit of one week to Canada, specifically Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria was filled with visiting museums, art galleries, and many other places of interest. In Toronto I spent five hours in the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), there was just so much to see. They also allowed photos which did surprise me. I also visited the Bata Shoe Museum which was equally fascinating. The Textile Museum was a highlight and featured three exhibitions, The Cutting Edge which focuses on the shape of a garment and what it signifies; She Will Always Be Younger Than Us questioning politics and culture. Also on show was the Judy Chicago's When Women Rule the World. This is a survey of this iconic artist's work in textiles from 1971 to the present day. Judy Chicago came to fame with The Dinner Party project which certainly rocked the textile world when it first appeared.

The ROM has its own textile section, very well displayed and full of information. Above is a garment by Zandra Rhodes (left), cloth by Thor Hansen, and a garment by Vivienne Westwood (right). I also watched a video on the making of a man's suit jacket, from the initial measuring, through to it being worn out of the shop. I actually found this fascinating.....

Me standing next to the Steam Clock in Gastown, Vancouver. Note steam coming out the top. This clock does not chime but toots!

2 comments:

  1. Good to have you safely back, and so glad you had a good time. I will look forward to hearing more on the Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you're home, Diana. And had a busy and successful trip.

    Wouldn't it be lovely to have the funds to go overseas and 'do' the galleries whenever the urge struck!

    Catch up soon,

    Virginia

    ReplyDelete