Monday, February 21, 2011

Second life

As I am in between works at the moment with the finishing of the two 'Tied to the House' pieces, and with new ideas still in formulation, I turned to a few things put aside for doing 'sometime'.

When searching recently for some fabric in my stash I came across a shirring elastic hand-dyed silk band which had in its first life been a peplum band on a jacket. I now can't remember why I eventually removed it but in re-discovering it I decided it would make a great scarf. Fortunately I still had some of the fabric left and set about binding the raw edge. I shall enjoy wearing this 'second life' scarf!



The last couple of weeks have been dominated by all the galleries and institutions presenting new exhibitions and programmes. The Wellington City Art Gallery, among other things, has Crown Lynn: Crockery of Distinction (closes 25 April). The Crown Lynn company started in the 1920's as a pipe and brick manufacturer and then evolved into classic kiwiana household ceramics in the 1960's. Pieces are instantly recognisable and most of us here in New Zealand will have some pieces of Crown Lynn tucked away. The exhibition includes several extensive private collections.

The exhibition included some design boards from well known artists who entered competitions in the 1950's and 60's and whose designs made it to production. I was immediately taken back to these days when I too entered at least one, maybe, two designs into these competitions. Entries were painted on to templates supplied, and then submitted. I was a school student in that era and am now quite amazed that I thought I could do it. And no my designs which I now can't recall at all, didn't make the grade! What does interest me is that I thought to have a go, and all these years later nothing has changed.

A Dorothy Thorpe design, Santa Barbara, 1965. Photo: Studio La Gonda. (Copied from City Gallery website).

No comments:

Post a Comment