Friday, February 25, 2011

We are hurting...

New Zealand has hit the world news again with another horrendous earthquake in Christchurch, a repeat of that experienced last September. New Zealand is reeling. The individual stories are heart wrenching, and it is difficult knowing how those immediately affected will continue. I am safe, my environment has not changed. My concerns however are palpable. It is not over yet.

It seems unfair to continue as normal but there is also a need that this is what should be done.

This week I returned to my latest sketch book while I contemplate my next piece. I know I should do this more often but it never seems to work out that way.

My latest 'doodle'. The quote on the left page is The mission of the observer is to have an active relationship with the thing observed, to view and to contemplate. Olga Ivandicki 1931 - 2009. (the smudging on the left page is seepage from the other side of the page)

Another scarf for myself evolved this week when a couple of fabric left-overs spotted each other and connected.

The left-overs. Crinkle silk and a silk rayon velvet.

I did some arashi shibori discharge on the crinkle silk, and this is the end result.

3 comments:

  1. Good to know you are safe, and I know it must be so unsettling for all New Zealanders. Hoping that things "settle down".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so concerned about you Diana! Glad to know that you are well. Our hearts go out to your country and all of the suffering that your people must endure.
    That said, I love your scarves! YUMMMY!!!
    Know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's happening in New Zealand is very scary, that could easily be California. I'm glad you are ok, and my heart goes out to all those affected by this.

    ReplyDelete