Today I spent two hours with senior students at Upper Hutt College as part of the educational out-reach organised by the gallery where my exhibition is being held. It took some time to think through what could be achieved in the two hours available so.....
I got them to paint a dye/water solution on to a blank silk screen as a background wash. When this was dry, they then printed on that wash with further dye and a selection of printing objects. Once this was dry they screened their design on to pre-Soda Ash soaked fabric, with Manutex (sodium alginate). They will be washing out their pieces tomorrow.
Here are some of the images I took during the workshop:
Working hard on painting their screens
Printing from a disk protective shield
Coming along nicely
A feather makes a good tool
Spooning on the Manutex
Many hands help....
A completed piece - not bad for a first timer!
And another one!