Friday, July 23, 2010

Starting new piece

I have started a new piece after plenty of mind design building during the last couple of weeks of family activities. Another large piece, fabric measures 2 metres x 115cm (79" x 45"). I decided to start with a grid of simple building outlines, and to get the layout right I used a builder's blue chalk line apparatus to achieve this. I have done this before and know that the chalk does not stain the fabric.

But before then I made a collagraph of my design ie cut out cardboard pieces and glued these on to another piece of cardboard. I gave it a couple of coats of shellac spray to protect the surfaces from any dye. This gets placed under the fabric, followed by a silk screening with thickened black Procion MX dye.

The cardboard collagraph. I have coloured the raised pieces so that I can just see them through the fabric.

Some test samples using the dye, and some pigment. I decided on the dye. This is not perfect printing, but I like the imperfections.

The blue chalk line placement grid in place.

Printing in progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment